So what’s an Idaho girl to do when the temperatures turn cold and the nights long? Make soup of course!
But not just any soup. Nope. If you’re from the great state of Idaho, you know a truly wonderful potato soup can cure a lot of winter ails.
So check out my recipe for loaded baked potato soup.
Recipe: Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30-45 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup real bacon pieces, cooked
- 1 chopped yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 32 oz. Chicken Broth
- 6 medium potatoes, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- Sour cream
- Bacon pieces
- Green onions
- Immersion blender
- Put butter in a medium stock over medium heat.
- Add bacon pieces and let cook for two minutes. Add in onions, garlic, salt, and pepper and cook until onions begin to become translucent.
- Pour in all of the chicken broth and the water. Turn heat up to medium-high and add all of the potatoes. Bring to boil and simmer until potatoes are soft. (Easy test: a knife should easily go through the potato piece.)
- Turn the temperature down to medium-low and blend until desired smoothness with immersion blender. (If you do not have an immersion blender, cool the soup and run through a traditional blender, then return to pot.)
- Stir in cream, shredded cheddar, and green onions. Once soup is back up to desired temperature, taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Dish it up and top with any combo of the toppings listed below. Enjoy!